Tequila- Montezuma’s Legacy
Click here for the latest Tequila tasting results
A tasting of 25 Tequilas was conducted in 2005 for this feature. The 25 participants included Tasters Guild NY members and Tequila representatives. Prices given below are full mark-up and may vary, as you are likely to find when purchasing. The numbered order does not indicate preference. Comments reflect the participants' impressions, as well as my own.
THE TASTING RESULTS:
Montezuma Gold - $18. - Light golden color, Smokey, peppery, sharp & earthy.
FLIGHT 1 - BLANCO/PLATA/SILVER/WHITE
- Herradura Silver - $38. - Clear color, aged for 40 days; fresh, fruity flavor. Spearmint, sweet metallic finish.
- Tres Generaciones Plata - $46. - 100% blue Agave. Clean, tea bag, sweet wood polish, oily finish. - FAVORITE IN THIS FLIGHT.
- Hacienda del Cristero Blanco - $48. - 100% Agave, clean light color. Triple distilled, floral, pineapple nose, peppery, fiery.
- Don Eduardo Silver - $38. - 100% Agave, triple distilled, briny nose that changed to a sweet nose. Cinnamon, peppery, round, full in the mouth.
FLIGHT 2 - MEZCAL
- Monte Alban Mezcal - $25. - Caramel color, toast nose with a smoky finish.
- Talapa Mezcal Reposado - $23. - Caramel color using cane sugar; smoky sweet taste. - FAVORITE IN THIS FLIGHT.
FLIGHT 3 - REPOSADO
- El Jimador Reposado - $28. - Pale straw color. Three months in oak, mellow finish with not much character.
- Reserva 1800 Reposado - $30. - Nine months in French & American oak barrels. Honey brown color, chocolate nose, slightly sweet flavor.
- Cazadores Reposado - $33. - 100% blue Agave. Aged in Kentucky oak barrels. Light color, mint taste and rather uninteresting.
- Corazon Reposado - $48. - Pale bronze color. Citrus, not sweet, soft, smooth, easy to drink with an herbal finish. - TIED FOR FAVORITE IN THIS FLIGHT.
- Patron Reposado - $50. - Six months in oak barrels. Lemony, dry and very Rum-like. - TIED FOR FAVORITE IN THIS FLIGHT.
- Gran Centenario Reposado - $50. - Light, slightly green golden color. Six months in French oak. Musty, earthy nose. Starts out sweet, but finishes dry, with tropical fruit flavors.
FLIGHT 4 - AÑEJO
- Corralejo Añejo - $55. - Light color, double distilled in copper stills. Forgettable.
- Reserva Antigua 1800 Añejo - $38. - 100% blue Agave with golden amber color. Soft, smooth, complex flavors of chocolate & honey.
- El Jimador Añejo - $45. - Not as much character as previously tasted Anejos but ended lovely.
- Don Eduardo Añejo - $50. - 100% Agave, light color, aged in American Bourbon oak for two years. Complex, peppery and smooth.
- Tres Generaciones Añejo - $50. - 100% blue Agave; aged three years in oak barrels. Smooth and sweet on the nose and palate.
- Herradura Añejo - $50. - Deep amber color. Aged two years in oak barrels. Licorice, iodine, spicy, complex. For sipping like a Cognac or Brandy.
- Espolon Añejo - $52. - Dark amber color. Aged one year in white oak barrels. Vanilla & butterscotch. - TIED FOR FAVORITE IN THIS FLIGHT.
- Gran Centenario Añejo - $55. - Dark amber color. Minimum 18 months in small French oak casks. Spicy, earthy, mineral, vanilla.
- Cabo Wabo Añejo Milenio - $68. - Light color; One year in white oak barrels. A different, yet lovely funky nose. Subtle vanilla, caramel, honey. - THIRD FAVORITE IN THIS FLIGHT.
- Corazon Añejo - $75. - Dark amber color. Aged in American oak. Sweet, floral honeyed nose. Caramel and tea.
- Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia - $110. - 5 years in 50% French & 50% American oak. Toasty, butterscotch, vanilla, honey. A long finish that reminded me of brandy or Cognac. - TIED FOR FAVORITE IN THIS FLIGHT.
Agavero Tequila Liqueur - $30. - 100% blue Agave that is a blend of Reposado & Añejo. Aged in charred white oak barrels. Light color, sweet & smooth. 64 proof.
Disclaimer: This section of the website is intended for visitors 21 years of age and older.
If you are not of legal drinking age, please exit by clicking here.
Please drink responsibly!
Comments or questions welcome, please e-mail to: Ron@TheFiftyBest.com